Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Early Years in the Hawken House

What was it like growing up at my house?

I have to admit, Jake and I had it better than most. My mom gave us both the most well-rounded, heartfelt, childhood any kid could hope for.

Don't get me wrong--she had her share of quirks, just like anyone else, but nothing out of the ordinary.

For example, every night she would sing us her favorite song as a lullaby while she tucked us in. Whenever we got too loud, she'd encourage us to go outside and try to find a specific mystical forest creature to play with. If we were persistent enough, she would teach us some of the hundreds of poems she had memorized. She was also always good for a laugh whenever we came scampering into the house and stumbled into a room where she was slow dancing with some man we'd never seen before.

So, overall, pretty typical stuff.

-Ben

No comments: